Friday, July 12, 2013

Best Burritos Ever!

I keep trying to get this recipe right and I think this time I got it! This is not a recipe for a beginner cook. I do not give amounts because you need to work with how much chicken you have and I do not measure seasonings when I add them. So you need to use your cooking experience to estimate the amount of onion and pepper and seasonings etc. My main trick was to use a lot of seasoning in everything that went into it and using many different rich flavors. And of course everything made with bacon fat is going to be yummy!!!
Guten Appetit!

Ingredients:
Tortillas, (I use sprouted wheat ones)
Cooked chicken, (I use what I have from my broth chicken, usually tender and shredded)
Refried beans, one can
Black beans, one can
Shredded Cheese
Enchilada Sauce (I make red one myself)
Bacon fat
Onions
Green Pepper


Method:
1.In a cast iron pan in plenty of bacon fat sautee your sliced onion and green peppers until soft but not limp. Season with some salt and chili powder. Set aside.
2.In same pan add a little more fat and add cooked chicken and black beans, season well with salt, onion powder and chili powder or whatever your favorite seasoning is. Just heat through on medium heat. Don't fry. Take off heat.
3. Get ready to assemble your burritos. Put a tortilla on a plate and line up all your ingredients. Layer them as follows: Spread refried beans on the middle of tortilla, add chicken mixture, spread onions and peppers, sprinkle with cheese and drizzle a little sauce. Roll them up and place upside down in a 9x13 pan that has a little of the sauce in the bottom.
4. Do this with the rest of your tortillas and then pour sauce over the top of them and sprinkle with more cheese. Cover with foil and put in 350 oven until heated through, about 30-40 minutes. Check to make sure sauce is bubbly but not burning.



2 comments: