Friday, April 30, 2010

Creamed Spinach

I made my own creamed spinach for the first time tonight. I used frozen chopped spinach and on a whim just decided to dress it up. The recipe will need to be refined some, but this is a good start. I only made a small batch this time and didn't measure everything.

Here is what I did:

Cook 1 package frozen, chopped spinach in some water just till warm. Strain well.

Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a small saucepan. Add 2 Tbsp. flour and whisk together right away under medium to low heat. Add 1/2 cup whole milk slowly to incorporate while whisking. Add onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Add 2-4 Tbsp of parmesan cheese or to taste.

Stir strained spinach into cream sauce.
Yummy!! It could have used more of the spices so I will need to experiment with amounts.

I grew up with creamed spinach out of a box in Germany and loved it. I will finally be able to get back to that taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment